Indie authors do not have the luxury of big publishing houses or a vast amount of resources to market their books. In most cases, being an indie author is one person trying to market and idea they’re passionate about. Each indie author chose the independent route for a reason (a topic I’ll address in another post), so if you love their story…there are ways for you to help!
So how can you help?
- Buy their book – This should be pretty self explanatory. Sales mean your indie author knows they have fans.
- Review their book – This is almost as important, if not MORE important, than purchasing the book. Reviews help the book get attention. Amazon will start showing the book in relevant searches after 10 reviews, and after 50 the book will be added to different independent book lists. Think about it from the consumer perspective – if you see more reviews on a product, you know more about it.
- Tell your friends! – If you like the book, tell your like minded friends. Recommendations go a long way!
- Recommend the book to your local library – Books do not get on shelves unless you request it get added! If you tell your local library about it, then it gets the book into hands of others.
- Make Fan Content – Art! Aesthetic boards! Playlists! Whatever you can think of – they help the author get attention (and most authors love seeing it too).
Now go out there, read your favorite books, and shout about them to everyone who comes your way.